|Fables and Fairy Tales||Stories Before 1850||Stories After 1850||Periodicals and Annuals||Religious Books, Bibles, Hymns, etc||Books of Instruction||Nursery Rhymes and Alphabets|
|Movable and Toy Books; Myths and Heroes||Poetry, Verse and Rhymes; Games||Games and Pastimes||Natural Science||Geography and Travel||History and Biography||Mathematics|
|Title:||Contes des Fées Par Charles Perrault|
|Date:||No date but c.1810?|
|Publisher:||La Librairie Economique, rue de la Harpe No.94|
|Pages:||1 vol., 176pp.|
|Size:||14 x 8 cm|
|Illustrations:||Five pages of engravings plus frontispiece vignette|
Images of all pages of this book
Charles Perrault published his major collection of fairy stories, Histoires, ou contes du temps passé, in Paris in 1697. It soon acquired the name by which it has become better known, Contes de ma mre l'Oye, or 'Mother Goose's Tales'. This edition in the Hockliffe Collection, published in Paris, probably in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century, contains all the original stories of Perrault's collection. Three further pieces have been added, 'L'adroite princesse, ou les adventures de Finette', 'Peau d'Asne', and 'Les souhaits ridicules'. Of these, only 'Peau d'Asne' was by Perrault, although it originally appeared in 1694 in verse form. 'L'adroite princesse' can be attributed to a friend and relative of Perrault's, Marie-Jeanne l'Héritir de Villandon, and was appended to Perrault's collection as early as an Amsterdam collection of 1721. It continued to appear in collections of Perrault's tales, as for instance in the Hockliffe Collection's early nineteenth-century edition of Mother Goose's Tales (0031).
A list of the contents of this volume of Contes des Fées, or 'Fairy Stories', appears below, together with the usual English translations of the titles. Links to English versions in the Hockliffe Collection appear after each entry.
1. 'La Barbe bleue' - 'Blue Beard' (see 0009, 0010, 0031)
2. 'Le Petit Chaperon rouge'- 'Little Red Riding Hood' (see 0027, 0028, 0032)
3. 'Les Fées' - 'The Fairy' or 'Diamonds and Toads' (see 0031, 0035)
4. 'La Belle au bois dormant' - 'Sleeping Beauty in the Wood' (see 0031, 0041)
5. 'Le Maitre Chat, ou le chat botté' - 'Puss in Boots' (see 0035, 0038A)
6. 'Cendrillon, ou la petite pantoufle de verre' - 'Cinderella' (see 0012, 0013, 0031, 0032)
7. 'Riquet la houpe' - 'Riquet (or Ricky) with the Tuft' (see 0031, 0039)
8. 'Le Petit Poucet' - 'Hop o' my Thumb' or 'Little Thumb' (see 0031, 0036)
9. 'L'adroite princesse, ou les adventures de Finette' - 'Finetta, or the Discreet Princess' (0031)
10. 'Peau d'Asne' - 'Donkey Skin'
11. 'Les souhaits ridicules' - 'The ridiculous wishes'